Infolink

AddToAny

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Kalakand - Indian milky fudge

Yum


Bengalis love sweets and I make and enjoy many sweets. Few days back my son’s birthday was celebrated and I prepared some Khoya (or Mawa – simply put super condensed milk solid).  But not all of it was consumed and I was wondering what to do with the extra khoya I have. Then I got the idea of this recipe. Kalakand is a popular Indian dessert recipe, prepared during north Indian festivals like diwali, holi and navratri. It is a unique combination of softness and crispyness that literally melts in the mouth. Here is how to prepare it.

 

Preparation Time: - Paneer/chana/chenna: - 15 min


Cooking Time: - 70~80 min


Servings: - 6 - actually depends on the personal capacity.



Ingredients:

  • Milk – ¾ L for preparing chana / chenna
  • Khoya (mawa) – ¾ cup or roughly 150g.
  • Condensed Milk – ¼ cup ( I used Nestle Milkmaid )
  • Ghee - 2 tbsp
  • Sugar – ½ cup ( I used normal sugar but you can use powdered one also)
  • 3 green cardamom pods or equivalent grounded cardamom/cardamom powder.  
  • Safron – about 10 strands
  • Pistachios - handful, sliced
  • Almonds – 4 pieces each broken in half

Preparation:-

  1. Prepare chana / chenna from the milk by following first 6 steps of my earlier recipe here.
  2. Crumble and mix the khoya, condensed milk and chenna in a non stick pan and start cooking on low flame. It will become soft. Keep stirring it for 10-15 min.
  3. Pour 1 tbsp ghee, sugar and cardamom powder and start stirring continuously till it is well mixed. Cook for another 15 min. Keep stirring vigorously till there is some cohesiveness and it leaves the sides of the pan.
  4. Pour Add another tbsp of ghee and mix. Turn off flame and pour it into an already greased shallow dish.
  5. Flatten it to 1/2" thickness with the help of a greased spatula.

  6. Garnish with sliced Pistachios and almonds and keep for 30 min at room temperature.
Cut into squares and serve. That’s all folks. I can guarantee it is yummy.

As always please feel free to comment, criticize and seek if any help is required. I am all ears.

No comments :

Post a Comment