Infolink

AddToAny

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Pomfret fry in Goan style

Yum
Recently we visited Goa and had Goan Pomfret fry in one of the shacks there. It was red hot spicy but I liked the inherent taste. I persuaded the manager to allow me to talk with the chef and he provided me the recipe of the same. It is the famous racheado masala of Goa which was customized and used by the chef. The main ingredient of it is coconut vinegar or Goa’s own wine – Feni. Back home I prepared my own masala which is not so spicy and make the Pomfret fry which was a hit among my family. The following is how I prepared this delicious dish.


Preparation Time: - 45 min


Cooking Time: - 25 min

Servings: - 1~2 persons

Ingredients:- 

  1. 400 gm Pomfret fish
  2. 1 tbsp Vinegar
  3. 1 tbsp Lemon juice
  4. ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
  5. 2 Green Chili + 2 whole Red Chili (optional – I used 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder)
  6. ½ tsp Cumin seeds
  7. 5~6 cloves of Garlic
  8. 1 inch fresh Ginger
  9. 4~5 cloves
  10. ¾ inch Cinnamon Stick
  11. 4~5 black pepper corns
  12. Few coriander leaves
  13. 1 tsp Kasuri Methi (optional – I like the smell)
  14. ½ tsp Sugar
  15. 4 tbsp vegetable oil ( I used Sunflower oil)
  16. Salt to taste.

Preparation:-

  1. Wash and clean the fish thoroughly, pat dry them.
  2. Make horizontal slits on both sides of the fish with a sharp knife. You can make diagonal slits also. This is done so that the spices go inside the fish and the taste is enhanced.
  3. Rub lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder and keep aside for 30 min.
  4. Now prepare the spices mix with cumin seeds, garlic, green and whole red chillies ( I used 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder as I was preparing for kids as well), black peppercorns, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and salt. Put the mixture in a grinder and grind it for 1 minute. You may need to use a little water to make a smooth paste.
  5. Marinate the fish with this masala paste rubbed thoroughly on both sides and inside. Keep it for about 15 min.
  6. Heat any vegetable oil in kadai or non-stick pan in high heat.
  7. Shallow fry both sides of the fish till they turn golden brown. Since my pan was small I did it one by one.

  8. Garnish with lemon slices and coriander leaves. You can use rings of onion even.

Serve this starter with the sauce of your choice or mayonnaise.
 
As always please feel free to comment, criticize and seek if any help is required. I am all ears.

No comments :

Post a Comment